Friday, March 13, 2009

Spring Fever Cure!

If you are suffering from Spring Fever like me head on over to Winco & buy some Strawberries! I was so excited when I went to Winco yesterday and saw that they have strawberries for $1.98! I love strawberries and love home made strawberry jam they make me think of warm summer days! I used to think making jam at home would be a lot of work and time, but my sweet friend Tina showed me otherwise! I made 5 8oz jars of freezer jam in about 30 mins! This jam is not only cheaper then store brand, but tastes way better! So take a chance and make some yourself! Here is how I do it!













Shopping List
2 packs of strawberries at $1.98 each
1 package of Ball no cook pectin at $1.35
1 package of Ball freezer jars ( 5- 8oz jars) at $2.58

Preparation
After you wash your strawberries and cut off the stems you can either use a potato masher to mash the strawberries or cut them. I like my jam to be chunky so I cut mine in 1/2 and then 1/4s and then slice them so they are about the size on a nickle. You should have about 4 cups when you are done.


-Once you have them cut up in another bowl you mix the pectin with about 1 1/2 Cups sugar (this is not a lot of sugar compared to some recipes so you really get the flavor of the strawberries)
-Then you mix the strawberries with the pectin / sugar mixture. You stir well for about 3 min. I am not to careful about squishing the strawberries this way the juices will come out!
- Now just ladle the jam into jars, let sit for about 1/2 hour then freeze!
Its that easy and so yummy! We love to eat my jam on bagels with creme cheese, on pancakes or even as an ice cream sunday topping! So go give this a try and that way you and your family can enjoy the "fruits of your labor"!

No comments:

Post a Comment